SubDriver - 2.5" OD - Dual shaft - 25.5" length - 1:72 Gato
This Sub-driver (SD) is specifically designed to power, control, and produce the weight change required to operate the radio-controlled, 1/72 Revell GATO model submarine either on the surface or submerged. In addition to that primary use, this Sub-driver also has utility on any other wet-hull type r/c model submarine large enough to accommodate the unit, employs two propellers, and who's above waterline structures displace no more than seven-ounces -- such models kits as the Lindberg I-53 and the Arkmodel Type VII
The 1/72 GATO SD comes with the propulsion sub-system installed and tested -- the two 12-volt, 380 size brushed motor, geared tot he output shafts at 3:1, and are wired and spark-suppressed; the SAS ballast sub-system installed, tested, and checked for correct operation; and the entire system leak tested to insure system watertight integrity. Installation and removal of the system is both quick and easy, as is access to the devices and mechanisms within the SD.
This SD features our semi-aspirated (SAS) type ballast sub-system -- air to eject ballast water is either pulled from atmosphere through a snorkel within the models removable sail, or from the dry spaces within the SD itself if the model is completely submerged when it is desired to expel ballast water. The SAS
ballast sub-system suffers neither the logistical or trim problems presented by a gas type ballast sub-system; nor the ballast displacement limitations inherent in an RCABS (bladder) type ballast sub-system. However, without any degradation of the SAS ballast sub-system, a gas type ballast sub-system can be retro-fitted to the system should you desire it as a back-up to insure recovery of the model operated in deep water.
GATO Sub-driver Specifications
- 2.5" diameter, 25 1/2" long, 1/16" wall thick, machined Lexan SD cylinder
- Ballast water weight is 27 ounces -- enough to raise the model submarine to its designed waterline
- LPB-MPC, ballast sub-system servo, safety float-valve, and all SAS plumbing made up and tested
- Snorkel head-valve assembly ready for installation upon the upper hull, under the removable sail
- two spark-suppressed, installed and tested 12-volt brushed 380 size motors
- ballast tank after bulkhead has a foundation and the Lexan cylinder is machined to receive gas ballast-sub system retro-fit kit elements
Additional Components Required
Many of these components are available here at the Nautilus Drydocks. For other components, check your local hobby stores or send us a message.
- one, 11.1-volt, 3200mAh battery and charger
- one, 6-8 channel FM r/c system (2.4gHz systems are not suitable for in-water use)
- one, Lipo-Guard
- one, Y-type servo lead
- one, ADF2 (angle-keeper and fail-safe circuits)
- one, ESC
- one, high-capacity BEC
- four mini-sized servos
- one, 1/2", 20-Ampere toggle-switch and watertight boot
- one, GATO fittings kit (if applicable)