3-1/2" Diameter EasyDriver
This Easy Sub-driver (SD) when outfitted with the appropriate devices, is specifically designed to power and control any one of the many single-screw propelled intermediate sized GRP and plastic model r/c submarine kits currently available through the normal retail and auction sites.
Of the 'dynamic' type, this SD does not incorporate a ballast sub-system -- meaning that the model submarine has to be trimmed heavy: when floating dead in the water, only a portion of the models sail will project into the air. The models depth is controlled dynamically; the forward motion of the model submarine through the water, and the angle it is commanded to assume to the water flow, dictates the rate at which the submarine will dive or rise.
This Sub-driver, being a removable system, can be employed in any number of model submarine hulls -- an economy not shared by models constructed with the devices fixed within the models hull.
Single shaft model submarines can be operated with this Sub-driver: A single 12-volt, 555 sized motor drives the propulsion shaft through a 3:1 gear reduction unit produces plenty of torque. This Easy SD is ideal for use aboard the Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK plastic model kit.
A very comprehensive instruction pamphlet is provided, with the required parts, to permit extension of the antenna to a position atop the models sail in order to permit submerged operation of the model when using a 2.4gHz r/c system. The Easy SD is outfitted with a traditional 27-75mHz antenna for those using the mhz gear.
3.5" Easy Sub-driver Specifications:
- one 12" long, 3.5" diameter, 1/8" wall thick, Lexan SD cylinder
- One or two spark-suppressed, installed and tested, 12-volt, brushed 555 size motor, geared 3:1
- cylinder is sized to accommodate as many as two 11.1-volt, 3000Ah Lithium-polymer batteries wired in parallel
- suitable for model submarines of intermediate size
Additional Components Required
- two, 11.1-volt, 1300Ah (or smaller) Lithium-polymer batteries
- battery charger
- three, mini-servos
- 15-Ampere electronic speed controller (ESC)
- battery eliminator circuit (BEC)
- FM or spread-spectrum (2.4gHz) r/c system
- BLM - Battery Link Monitor
- AD2 (angle-keeper)
- 20-Ampere toggle-switch and watertight boot or magnetic switch
- set of 'Deans' type connectors