Russian Kilo in 1:96 scale
An amazing depiction of one of Russia's best known ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) submarines.
The original kit was mastered by Dave Manley of Small World models and the new and improved fittings are produced by David Merriman. The hull has excellent rigidity, reducing warping, and the cast resin fittings include a fully assembled rear section that feature pre-installed rudder and dive planes, saving time and complexity, particularly for the new sub-builder.
Instructions for the assembly of this model are the same as the excellent USS Blueback model kit and can be downloaded for free here.
While this kit does not include every nut, bolt and miniscule piece of plastic you'll need to complete your buildup, it does include 99% of what you'll need.
Here is a video created by David Merriman, who creates the fittings for me, highlighting the features of this magnificent little boat
- Length: 29"
- Beam: 4"
Starter Kit Contents: In addition to the 1:96 model kit itself:
NEW custom MSD SubDriver - 2.5" diameter, single-shaft.
Includes full assembled ballast sub-system, seals, ballast tank, power compartment and motor compartment. SNORT ballast setup with gas backup failsafe
Magnetic linkage connectors Brushless ESC AD2 pitch controller BLM failsafe unit VEX radio system 6-channel on 75mhz 6-channel receiver with crystal set Standard mini servos Self-adhesive ballast weights Flotation foam blocks 3/16" Nylon dogbone with adapter 1/16" brass rods for the creation of linkages 1500mAh LiPo battery
Statistics for the original boat
Type: Attack submarine Displacement:
- Surfaced: 2,300–2,350 tons
- Submerged: 3,000-3,950 tons full load
Length: 70.0–73.8 m (229 ft 8 in–242 ft 2 in) Beam: 9.9 m (32 ft 6 in) Draft: 6.2 m (20 ft 4 in) Installed power: Diesel-electric Propulsion:
- Diesel-electric propulsion
- 2 × 1000 kW Diesel generators
- 1 × 5,500–6,800 shp (4,100–5,100 kW) Propulsion motor
- 1 × fixed-pitch 6 or 7 bladed propeller(6BL project 877) (7BL project 636)
- Surfaced: 17 knots (31 km/h; 20 mph)
- Submerged: 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)
- With snorkel: 6,000–7,500 nmi (11,100–13,900 km; 6,900–8,600 mi) at 7 kn (13 km/h; 8.1 mph)
- Submerged: 400 nmi (740 km; 460 mi) at 3 kn (5.6 km/h; 3.5 mph)
- Full run: 12.7 nmi (23.5 km; 14.6 mi) at 21 kn (39 km/h; 24 mph)
Endurance: 45 days Test depth:
- Operational: 240 m (790 ft)
- Maximum: 300 m (980 ft)
Complement: 52 Armament:
- 6 x 533 mm (21 in) torpedo tubes
- 18 torpedoes
- 4 Kalibr / Club land-attack cruise missile, anti-ship missile and anti-submarine missile (some versions)
- 24 mines
- 8 9K34 Strela-3 (SA-N-8 Gremlin) or 8 9K310 Igla-1 (SA-N-10 Gimlet)Surface-to-air missiles (export submarines may not be equipped with air defense weapons)