Russian Oscar II Submarine kit in 1:96 scale
The first submarine of Project 949 was laid down in the mid-1970s and was commissioned in 1980. In total thirteen submarines were constructed. The Oscar class was designed to attack NATO carrier battle groups using long-range anti-ship missiles. In the financial problems that followed the fall of the Soviet Union the Oscar class was prioritized by the Russian Navy and when many older submarine classes were retired the Oscar class remained active in both the Northern and Pacific Fleets.
The Project 949 submarines were the largest cruise missile submarines in service until the Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines were converted to carry cruise missiles in 2007. They are the fourth largest class of submarines in displacement and length. Only the Soviet Typhoon-class, Russian Borei-class and American Ohio-class ballistic missile submarines are larger.
The Model Kit:
The Nautilus Drydocks is proud to present this superb offering of the Oscar submarine, based off of master patterns created by Kevin McLeod and produced in conjunction with OTW Designs out of the UK.
Hulls feature high quality GRP layup with integrated lips for rigidity. Appendages and control surfaces are cast resin. The included propellers are cast bronze and are veritable works of art all on their own.
Included with the kit:
- Hand-drawn general arrangement drawings
- GRP fiberglass hull, upper and lower
- GRP sail casting
- Resin appendages
- Stainless steel drive shafts
- Oil-filled bronze bushings
- Two contra-rotating metal propellers
- Two universal joints
This boat requires quite a bit of ballast tank displacement in order to float at the designed waterline. Please email us for options for command and control packages for this amazing kit.
Full-sized boat specifications
General characteristics Type: Nuclear cruise missile submarine Displacement:
- 12,500/14,700 tonnes surfaced
- 16,500/19,400 tonnes submerged
Length: 155 m (508 ft 6 in) maximum Beam: 18.2 m (59 ft 9 in) Draught: 9 m (29 ft 6 in) Installed power: 2 × pressurized water cooled reactors Propulsion: 2 × steam turbines delivering 73,070 kW (97,990 shp) to two shafts Speed:
- 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph) surfaced
- 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph) submerged
Endurance: 120 days Test depth: 830 m Complement: 94/107 Armament:
- 4 × 533 mm (21.0 in) and 2 × 650 mm (26 in) torpedo tubes in bow
- 28 × 533 mm and 650 mm weapons, including Tsakra (SS-N-15 Starfish) anti-submarine missiles with 15 kt nuclear warheads and Vodopad/Veter (SS-N-16 Stallion) anti-submarine missiles with 200 kt nuclear warhead or Type 40 anti-submarine torpedo or 32 ground mines
- 24 × P-700 Granit (SS-N-19 Shipwreck) cruise missiles with 750 kilograms (1,650 lb) HE or 4 × 100 Mt Poseidon drones