Swedish Sjöormen class submarine in 1:48 scale
This is an exceptionally rare and unique model of the Swedish Sjöormen Class submarine. This particular model depicts the HSwMS Sjöhunden (Shu).
Details on this model's history are lacking, and I've been unable to track down a potential kit manufacturer, leading me to believe this could be a one-of-a-kind scratchbuild by a very talented builder.
The Sjöormen class (Sea serpent) were a group of submarines built for the Swedish Navy in the late 1960s. They had a teardrop hull shape and were capable of diving to 150 metres (490 ft). At the time of their deployment they were regarded as one of the most advanced non-nuclear submarine-classes in the world, incorporating many new features including x-rudder and anechoic tiles. Both speed and underwater endurance was at this time very high for a conventional submarine. The submarines were retired by Sweden in the early 1990s. In the late 1990s, four submarines were acquired by the Republic of Singapore Navy and relaunched as the Challenger class following modernisation and tropicalisation.
Model Length: 41.5" (105cm)
Model Beam: 5" (12.7cm)
This model is a perfect size for pool, pond or lake, with superb handling characteristics, owing to the design of the rear x-tail control surfaces. I estimate the turning diameter surfaced could be as little as 10ft, and smaller than that when submerged. It is also exceptionally fast and is an absolute blast to operate.
- Fiberglass hull construction
- Watertight cylinder
- BLM failsafe unit (currently not connected, but fully installed, instructions included)
- ADF-4 pitch control
- X-tail mixer
- Mtroniks SUB10 450A ESC with integrated BEC
- Gas ballast system
- Twin 1500mAh LiPo battery packs (3A total capacity)
- Remote on/off switch 15A rated
- VEX 6-channel programmable radio on 75mhz for full submerged diving
- Brass propeller
- Propel can adapter for gas ballast system
NOTE: Due to the size of this model, a shipping correction invoice may be required to reflect actual shipping costs to your location. For an advance shipping quote, please email me.
Move fast! This won't last long!
Full-sized boat specifications
General characteristics Type: Submarine Displacement:
- Surfaced: 1,075 t (1,058 long tons; 1,185 short tons)
- Submerged: 1,400 t (1,400 long tons; 1,500 short tons)
Length: 51 m (167 ft 3.9 in) Beam: 6.1 m (20 ft 0.2 in) Draught: 5.8 m (19 ft 0.3 in) Propulsion:
- 1 shaft 2 × Pielstick diesel
- 1 × ASEA electric motor
- Surfaced: 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
- Submerged: 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)
Endurance: 21 days Test depth: 150 m (490 ft) Complement: 23 Sensors and
- 4 × 533 mm (21 in) torpedo tubes
- 2 × 400 mm (16 in) torpedo tubes