3D Files for German Type XXI in 1:48 Scale
Type XXI submarines were a class of German diesel–electric Elektroboot (German: "electric boat") submarines designed during the Second World War. One hundred and eighteen were completed, with four being combat ready. During the war only two were put into active service and went on patrols, but these were not used in combat.
They were the first submarines designed to operate primarily submerged, rather than spending most of their time as surface ships that could submerge for brief periods as a means to escape detection. They incorporated many batteries to increase the time they could spend submerged, to as much as several days, and they only needed to surface to periscope depth for recharging via a snorkel. The design included many general improvements as well: much greater underwater speed by an improved hull design, greatly improved diving times, power-assisted torpedo reloading and greatly improved crew accommodations.
After the war, several navies obtained XXIs and operated them for decades in various roles and large navies introduced new submarine designs based on them. These include the Soviet Whiskey, US Tang, UK Porpoise and Swedish Hajen classes, all based on the Type XXI design to some extent.
What you get:
Fro those interested in 3D printing their own submarine hull of this iconic boat, this product includes not only the 3D files, but also everything else required for completion. The files are composed of 3D sections, engineered for exceptionally easy assembly.
All items included with the purchase:
- 3D files
- Brass photoetch
STL files ARE NOT available without the above components, and the components are required for assembly.
Many tower variants are available. Please select at time of checkout and the appropriate tower, brass and decals will be supplied with your order.
Maximum hull section sizes:
Hull: X=177 mm, Y=173 mm, Z=185 mm
Tower (printed on diagonal): X=247 mm, Y=207,5 mm, Z=75 mm
Assembled model Length: 63 inches (160cm)
Beam: 5.2 inches (13cm)
This model is a perfect candidate for our 3.5" dual-shaft Modular SubDriver (please contact us for details).
Upon payment, the brass photoetch, STL files on CD and decals will be mailed to you. Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.
Full-sized boat specifications
General characteristics Class and type: Submarine Displacement:
- 1,621 t (1,595 long tons) surfaced
- 1,819 t (1,790 long tons) submerged
Length: 76.70 m (251 ft 8 in) Beam: 8 m (26 ft 3 in) Draught: 6.32 m (20 ft 9 in) Propulsion:
- 2× MAN M6V40/46KBB supercharged 6-cylinder diesel engines, 4,000 PS (3,900 shp; 2,900 kW)
- 2× SSW GU365/30 double-acting electric motors, 5,000 PS (4,900 shp; 3,700 kW)
- 2 × SSW GV232/28 silent running electric motors, 226 PS (223 shp; 166 kW)
- 15.6 knots (28.9 km/h; 18.0 mph) surfaced
- 17.2 knots (31.9 km/h; 19.8 mph) submerged
- 6.1 knots (11.3 km/h; 7.0 mph) (silent running motors)
- 15,500 nmi (28,700 km; 17,800 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph) surfaced
- 340 nmi (630 km; 390 mi) at 5 knots (9.3 km/h; 5.8 mph) submerged
Test depth: 240 m (787 ft) Complement: 5 officers, 52 enlisted men Armament:
- 6 × 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedo tubes (bow)
- 23 G7 torpedoes (or 17 torpedoes and 12 mines)
- 4 x 2 cm (0.79 in) C/30 anti-aircraft guns