German Type 214 Kit in 1:48 Scale
The Type 214 is a diesel-electric submarine developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW). It features diesel propulsion with an air-independent propulsion (AIP) system using Siemens polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) hydrogen fuel cells.
The Type 214 submarine is derived from the Type 212. Due to improvements in the pressure hull materials, the Type 214 can dive nearly 400 meters. It can also carry food, fresh water and fuel for 84 days of operation.
This scale model is composed of a fiberglass upper and lower hull, polyurethane control surfaces and periscopes, a scale brass propeller and brass photoetched deck details.
Our 3.5" diameter SubDriver unit is a perfect choice to drive this model.
Length: 135cm (53 inches)
Beam: 13cm (5")
These kits are manufactured in Europe. Please allow 4 weeks for delivery.
Full Scale Submarine Specifications
- Displacement: 1,690 t surfaced / 1,860 t submerged
- Dimensions: length 213 feet 3 inches (65 m) / beam 20 feet 8 inches (6.3 m) / draught 19 feet 8 inches (6 m)
- Pressure hull: HY-100
- Armament: 8 x 533 mm torpedo tubes, 4 subharpoon-capable
- Propulsion: low noise skew back propeller
- Diesel engines: 2 x MTU 16V-396 (3.96 MW)
- Charging generators: 2 x Piller Ntb56.40-10 0.97 MW
- AIP system: 2 x HDW PEM fuel cell module BZM120 (120 kW x 2) 
- Electric motor: 1 x Siemens Permasyn (2.85 MW)
- Speed: 10 kt surfaced / 20 kt submerged
- Speed on fuel cells: 2-6 kt estimated
- Range surfaced: 12,000 miles (19,300 km)
- Range submerged: 420 nmi @ 8 kt (780 km @ 15 km/h)
- Range on fuel cells: 1,248 nmi @ 4 kt (2,310 km @ 7 km/h)
- Mission endurance: 12 weeks
- Submerged without snorkelling: 3 weeks
- Operating depth: more than 250 m officially, 400 m estimated
- Complement: 5 officers + 22 crew
- Navigation radar: SPHINX-D with 4Kw pulse and tactical LPI radar sensor [Thales Deutschland Kiel]